Saturday, March 6, 2010





I have two jobs right now. During the week, when I don't have class, I substitute teach in my area. I like that job a lot, because there's a lot of flexibility and it's fun to be doing something different every day. This last week I taught kindergarten on Monday, typing for 7th and 8th graders on Wednesday, and then at risk kids in high school on Friday. I've been doing that job for two years now.

Depending on the class, I can either have a ton of free time or none at all. Like when you're teaching younger grades, you have to be on top of the class at all times, keeping everyone busy and helping a bunch of kids simultaneous. And tying shoes. No joke, I have no idea have many shoelaces I've tied in the past two years that haven't been my own, but it's easily in the hundreds. My kids are all having velcro shoes until they're thirty and I for sure don't have to worry about them asking me to tie them for the tenth time that day. And it's always the same students who keep coming back to me with their laces undone. I'm pretty sure it's not my tying job, since my shoes stay laced the whole day. I suspect some kids unlace their shoes, just so the teacher will give them attention again when they ask for it. Whether it's on purpose or not, the second time any kid comes to me to tie their shoe I triple knot that sucker so there's no way it'll come undone while I'm still around. Let their parents try and get that thing off after they get home- I'm done dealing with it.

But like in high school I usually just watch a video or give the assignment and then make sure no one breaks anything while the teacher's away. That gives me a lot of time to read, mess with whatever's in the teacher's desk (that middle school desk last week had a huge ole bag of starburst in it. Oh baby oh baby...) or play on the computer.

This comic is referring to my other job- the weekend custodial job at the student center where I work Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 6am. That job I have to be holding the floor buffer for hours on end, and there's really nothing to do other than listen to my iPod and think. After a while I get bored of doing both, so I just kind of stare at the floor for several hours. Later, I felt guilty about willingly being dumb and drew this comic as kind of a compensation.


No comments:

Post a Comment