Thursday, July 2, 2009

I ended up going 2 hours and 43 minutes

I'm the firstborn in my family, which means I grew up being a kid for the first time with two adults being parents for the first time. I’d like to think my parents put some thought into how they wanted the raise their kids prior to them making one. Whether a trial and error method for rearing children is any better than making up the parameters after circumstances present themselves is difficult to determine, especially in my case where I feel there were influences from both camps.

Example of the trial and error: if my room wasn’t clean, I wasn’t allowed to play outside until it was. In theory this should have been enough of an incentive to guarantee a tidy living space. In reality I didn’t want to play anywhere outside my room anyway (still the case) so being forced to stay there didn’t have the desired effect. My parents both went to college, and weren’t to be outsmarted by a six year old. Having my mattress removed and not returned until my room was clean caused me to respond the way they hoped I would.

Example of circumstantial parameters: There were rules about when and who I could date. There weren’t rules about the length of individual dates until the day after the night I didn’t come home from one.

One hard and fast rule that applied to the entire duration of my childhood was in regard to the television I was permitted to watch. PBS. Nothing else. “Wishbone” got me through high school English (and some of college), I can’t count the number of times “Bill Nye the Science Guy” was the only reason I got an answer right in Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy, and I still know ever y word to the theme songs for Reading Rainbow, Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, and 3-2-1 Contact (that one really dates me, but I have fond and very vivid memories of The Bloodhound Gang and Math Patrol).

I did sneak in a lot of TV on the sly. Mom napped every afternoon and dad was still at work, so between most days 2:00 to 3:00pm I had a window to indulge in Fox Kid’s cartoon programming. “Spiderman” was a favorite, and the first one in the program lineup so I usually got to see that one before mom woke up. “Big Bad Beetleborgs” was on for a while and came right before the show it ripped off, “Power Rangers”. But always outbalancing my illicit television was the quotidian diet of publically funded programming.

One feature of PBS I miss is what they would show between programs when there wasn’t anything scheduled. I assume the children’s educational television market wasn’t as saturated as it currently is, because often times they would just show B reel footage of a helicopter flying through the Grand Canyon. That was it. The shadow of the helicopter would gracefully as glide over the surface of the canyon walls for half hour blocks, while 4th graders whose parent’s didn’t approve of cartoons waited idly on living room carpets.

Boredom is an excellent motivator for activity (case and point- I’ve now been at my job at a call center for 2 hours and 25 minutes without taking a phone call. That’s a new personal record, if anyone’s interested. With nothing else to do, I log into my blog and proceed to write everything up to the period you’re about to see. <-- That’s the one) and I would likely leave to go build Legos or make puddles of mud to bury stuff in or go pull my sister’s hair. Or I would just watch the shadow and imagine how I would keep up with it were I running alongside it- which crecipices (minted it- sorry, no stealing it now) I would jump over or path I would take to keep pace.

Sadly, the helicopter in the Grand Canyon no longer has a place on the public broadcasting station. In its place are a slew of banal and insipid programs like “Bob the Builder” and “Dora the Explorer” that rot kids’ brains. Sadder yet, my parents have become unbelievably lax in what television they allow the youngest of the six children to watch. Cable? When did we get cable? And why isn’t the Disney channel blocked? That station is all trash, all the time. Have fun being dumber than a pair of bricks, Aspen and Capri- thank mom and dad for it.

6 comments:

  1. dude....I forget...you gonna be in Provo for the rest of the summer?...if not, what's your address gonna be in August...

    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun read...you should write more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started out at as fairly entertaining post (though your first sentence is a lie...I'm the oldest)...got kind of boring there, for a few paragraphs when you droned on about the Grand Canyon and made up a bunch of words, but you ended it nicely.

    Better make sure mom never reads it though, if you want to remain 2nd favorite.

    You forgot to mention that you used to sneak in 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'My Little Pony' during those naps....

    Actually, that was me. Not sure where you were or why you think you had access to the TV during prime TV sneaking time...

    As for youngest child privileges...

    You forgot that Aspen and Capri also have no bed time, never have been dragged out of bed at 4:30 am on the FIRST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION, have never even hoed a pumpkin in their lives, get to order soda at restaurants, have essentially unlimited access to a computer (I remember strict computer limitations that included merely Treasure Hunt, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?, and Oregon Trail), don't get in trouble for snitching any forbidden foods, (don't even HAVE forbidden foods) aaaand, I could go on all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treasure Mountain, Treasure Cove, Treasure Galaxy, Operation Neptune, Gizmos and Gadgets, Spellbound, Midnight Rescue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus Shinning Time Station with Ringo Star. Quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Cami and yourself are right about Capri. Cami shut your stinkin mouth! I hoed. Maybe not as much as you but I still hoed. Also' you failed to mention that I really don't like TV. I watch maybe 1 hour of TV a week. Mom and Dad used to let you guys stay up and watch TV ALL the time. As for Cami, tell her to keep in mind that Mom and Dad are just as much as strict health freaks as they were when she was little. (Oh wait. I forgot! She still IS little! >:p) I choose not to order soft drinks in resteraunts. Oh and try having to baby sit little two years olds on school nights. People trusted me to babysit before I was even a teenager. BULL I DON'T HAVE A BED TIME! You guys should think before you speak. Most of what you guys said made you lie out of your nose. Get out of my face!

    ReplyDelete