Friday, July 17, 2009

Fulfillment of a lifelong dream...

Well, half of one at least. I’ve always wanted to at one point in my life be chased by the police. I imagined myself being approached by an officer after having commited some minor infraction of the law like riding my bike down the ramp behind the Smith Field House ($50.00 fine) or throwing snowballs (again, fifty bones if you get caught. Although there was that one time we were walking home from wallball and I hit J-Peck in the face with one and this cop, I swear, he just materialized like two feet to the left of me. No joke, no one was there and then a BYU campus police officer was telling us to stop having fun. Or at least telling me to stop having fun- I’m not sure if Jocelyn was having much fun with a snowball in her eye. He didn’t give me a fine though, probably because he was only a spirit and incapable of interacting with the physical world.) but rather than just taking the fine I’d show off how fast I was and my parkour skills and would lose the pursuing police officer.

So last night I’m longboarding at the Wells Fargo parking garage down by Center Street around 3:30am. It’s sever stories high and it’s fun to coast from the top around in circles to the basement. There are signs all around it expressly forbidding loitering, roller blading, and skateboarding and I had heard stories about people getting their boards confiscated there but didn’t think they were true. They should have signs up telling homeless people it was against the rules to pee in the stairwell, because that place is rank with the smell of urine. Anyway, I’m going up the stairs for my third run down (the outside stairs, not the stairwell because I’m serious, it is a foul and unholy smell in that place) and I get up to the third floor when I see the back of this police suburban going slowly up the parking garage. I made like the BYU officer and evanesced quicker than all get out. And get out I did. I booked it a block and a half away, then watched from behind a parked car the as the suburban made its way to the top of the parking garage.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t see me, because they waiting at the top level for a while before going back down and leaving. So I wasn’t chased by the police, but I did run from them which is half the dream. I’m willing to count that one for now and move on to the next: getting a Vitamin Water on an airplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment